Wednesday, May 2, 2007

breaking chains

I've been a follower of Jesus for a long time, but something that didn't really click for me for years was the connection between confession and freedom. Pretty odd, since those go hand in hand, but I just really didn't get it. There was something about confession that seemed so down and hard, and it didn't really gel with my idea of freedom. But after some digging in the Word, I realized I was wrong. Shocker, I know. They do go hand in hand. Because confession and repentance breaks the chains of sin! And furthermore, if I confess, say, to another person, then I no longer care about hiding my sin, because I've already told people! Its good stuff. So we gave it a try. And handed out some broken chain links to symbolize what happened in the spirit. I can't speak for anyone else, but I for one felt some serious freedom.

1 comment:

Aurora said...

good insight! I'm watching people go through the process of finding freedom through confession, (myself included)and it's beautiful! Maybe the Catholics were on to something after all!
Much love, sister